Diseases of the nervous system that affect the innervation of the lower limbs either directly or indirectly affect the control of the feet, the clinical features of these diseases are very different and have contrasting effects upon foot function e.g.:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Charcot Marie – Tooth Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Parkinson’s Disease
We are able to provide Neuromuscular assessments and postural gait analysis for adults and children that present with neurological lower limb and foot conditions and provide both a multi and interdisciplinary approach to management and care with a combination of treatment modalities:
- Chiropractic Neurological assessment
- Specialist Neuro-Physiotherapy Rehabilitation
- Hydrotherapy Orthotics and Ankle foot Orthoses
- Personal Training
This patient presented with Charcot – Marie – Tooth Disease which is an inherited degenerative neuropathy which typically affects the lower limbs.
He presented with:
- Unsteadiness of walking due to marked ankle instability and foot drop
- Tendency to trip easily, with a high steppage, foot slap gait
- Low back pain due to standing all day whilst working
- Muscle wasting in his legs
- Loss of feeling in his feet
This patient has been wearing ankle foot orthoses for most of his life with custom – made hospital footwear.
To enable him to walk without his ankle foot braces in footwear of his choice that he could buy from a high street shoe shop relieve his back pain improve his gait posture and allow him to be less unsteady at work.
Following both a combined Podiatric and Chiropractic neurological assessment and treatment together with casted functional Orthotics over a 6 week period, he was able to dispense with his AFO’s and place his Orthotics in work boots he purchased from a high street store.
He continues to improve on a daily basis with a markedly improved upright postural gait pattern and improved feeling in his feet and no back pain.